GLYPHOSATE STATEMENT - AVENA FOODS PURITY PROTOCOL OATS
Avena Foods supports our customers’ efforts to limit the presence of chemicals in food. As part of our commitment to providing safe, high quality ingredients, we have implemented and continually review practices that meet or exceed the highest regulatory and industry standards. This includes the use of glyphosate in the farming of oats.
Glyphosate is one of the most widely used herbicides and is pervasive in the food system, with detectable levels being reported everywhere from rainwater to conventional and organic foods. Avena’s Purity Protocol minimizes the risk of glyphosate presence in oats starting prior to planting the crop on farms right through to delivery of finished goods to our customers. These measures include:
- A complete ban on use of glyphosate on farms that produce organic oats.
- A complete ban on use of glyphosate in conventional oats fields from time of seeding to harvest.
- Farmer contracts that require an annual signed commitment that each farmer will comply with Avena’s glyphosate ban.
- Annual grower school required for all new contracted farmers that includes education about glyphosate and Avena’s contract requirements.
- On-site field inspections during the growing season.
- Chemical declaration forms signed by every farmer every year that include a section specific to glyphosate.
- Tests on post-harvest samples from each farmer’s crop.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions about Avena’s Purity Protocol Oats.
Avena Foods Limited
Food Safety and Quality Assurance Team